Facebook Pixel

Spinal Cord Resources & Related Links


  • Dorcas Ministries (919-469-9861)
    Provides food and crisis financial aid to residents of Cary and Morrisville
  • First Presbyterian Church (919-833-4070)
    Provides financial assistance once every 12 months to individuals who meet eligibility requirements. Also provided emergency good through a referral/voucher system to Catholic Parish Outreach or Wake Relief.
  • Garner Area Ministries (919-772-9100)
    Offers food, emergency financial assistance and clothing. Service area includes all of 27529, and some parts of 27603 & 27610
  • Salvation Army  (919-834-6733) www.wakearmy.org
    Provides financial assistance, clothing, food pantry.
  • Urban Ministries (919-834-4707) www.urbanmin.org
    Provides assistance with prescription medications, food, and transitional housing.
  • Wake County Human Services (919-212-7000)
    County office where applications for Medicaid and Food Stamps are taken.
  • WCHS Emergency Assistance Service Intake (919-212-7000)
    Provides emergency financial assistance with utilities, rent, prescriptions, and other services.
  • Western Wake Crisis Ministry (919-362-0657)
    Provides Financial assistance and a food pantry to residents of Apex, Holly Springs, and surrounding areas.



  • -Americans with Disabilities Act http://www.ada.gov/
    Provides information on disability rights laws. 
  • Center for Volunteer Caregiving (919-460-0567) www.volunteercaregiving.org
    Provides services to assist Wake county seniors, caregivers and adults with disabilities. 
  • Community Partnerships (919-781-3616) www.communitypartnerships.org
    Provides services to people with disabilities of all ages.  Programs include: preschool services, brain injury support services, supported employment, and family education.
  • GCF Family Support Services www.gcffamilysupportservices.org
    Ofers support, education, and helping families with special needs. Phone number based on county/see website.
  • Guiding Lights Caregiver Support Center (919-371-2062)
    This comprehensive family caregiver support center provides resources, support and education for family and professional caregivers
  • NC Human Relations Commission (919-789-5930)
    Provides information regarding fair housing and housing discrimination concerns.
  • NC Industrial Commission (919-807-2500)
    Provides information on workers’ compensation.
  • Resources for Seniors (919-872-7933)
    Provides information on home and community-based resources so that disabled and senior adults can maximize their independence for as long as possible while remaining in their home.
  • Triangle Disability Advocates (919-350-8539)
    Assists families in the Social Security application process.


  • Alliance Behavioral Healthcare (800-510-9132)
    Coordinates public mental health, developmental disability, and substance abuse services for citizens of Wake and Durham counties. Fees: accepts Medicaid, sliding fee scale and private pay.
  • Catholic Charities (919-790-8533)
    Provides individual/family counseling services. Fees: sliding scale, insurance, Medicaid, adoption, family health, safety and pregnancy, immigration, food pantries
  • Hopeline (919-231-4525)
    24-hour/7-day confidential supportive telephone counseling.
  • Interact  (919-828-7740)
    Crisis intervention, counseling and shelter for victims of domestic violence.
  • Jewish Family Services (919-676-2200)
    Provides counseling on a sliding fee scale.
  • Life Resources of NC (919-896-8520)
    Behavioral health and wellness clinic offering individual/family counseling, psychiatric evaluations, medication management and wellness services. Can provide home visits to most parts of Wake County. Fees: Medicare, Medicaid, private insurance, private pay
  • Wake County Mental Health Services (250-3133)
    Emergency and non-emergency mental health services. Walk-ins and some scheduled appointments available. Accept some insurance and sliding fee scale.
  • Triangle Family Services (919-821-0790) www.tfsnc.org
    Provides individual/family counseling services. Fees: Medicare, Medicaid, sliding fee scale


  • Doctor Choice (919-350-8900)
    Physician referral line.
  • Project Access Wake County (919-554-3762)
    Provides donated medical care to Wake county residents who meet income requirements and are uninsured. http://www.wakedocs.org/project_access.html
  • Alliance Medical Ministry Clinic (919-250-3320)
    Medical care on sliding fee scale for eligible working families without health insurance.  Provides screening for Project Access.
  • Open Door Clinic (919-832-0820)
    Medical clinic for Wake county residents without insurance. 
  • Advanced Community Health (919-833-3111) www.advancechc.org/
    Provides general medical care and social work services.  Insurance accepted, sliding fee scale.  Previously called ‘Wake Health Services’. Here is a list of the locations as you have known them, and the new name. Spanish speaking staff available.
    • Locations                                                   Former Names
      Apex                                                          Apex Family Medicine
      Louisburg                                                  Franklin Community Health Services
      Southeast Raleigh                                     Rock Quarry Road Family Medicine
      Pediatrics and Dental                                New Bern Ridge Pediatrics and Dental Center
      Fuquay-Varina Southern                           Wake Family Medicine
      South Wilmington Outreach Center          South Wilmington Men’s Shelter
    • To make appointments: Pediatrics: 919-231-3180; Dental: 919-250-2930; All Others: 919-833-3111
  • Project Access Johnston County (919-550-0011)
    Provides donated medical care to Johnston county residents who meet income requirements and are uninsured.


  • AmRamp of Eastern NC (919-850-4585)
    Sells and rents portable and modular wheelchair ramps. Other available products include threshold ramps, suitcase ramps, grab bars, stair glides, vertical platoform lifts, and vehicle lifts.
  • Center for Independent Living (919-715-0543)
    Home modifications and assistive equipment.
  • Center for Universal Design (919-513-0825) www.cud@ncsu.edu
    Assists with planning for modifications in homes.  Will talk with callers about needs and can send information packet.
  • Resources for Seniors Housing and Home Improvement (919-872-7933)
    Home adaptations including wheelchair ramps, grab bars; minor home repair related to health and safety.  For homeowners 55 and older, fees are based on income.
  • Van Products (919-878-7110)
     Sells wheelchair-accessible vehicles, lifts, ramps, hand controls and many other products.
  • Ramp and other product companies: multiple companies rent or sell a variety of home modification supplies.


  • Social Security Administration (800-772-1213)
    Provides information on Social Security benefits and Medicare, Social Security Disability Benefits and SSI).


  • GoRaleigh ACCESS (formally Accessible Raleigh Transportation/ART) (919-996-3459: City of Raleigh Transportation Dep’t for applications)
    In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, this program provides door-door transportation to City of Raleigh and Wake Forest residents whose disabling conditions or functional limitations prevent therm from using city bus service.
  • GoRaleigh Transit (formally Capital Area Transit -City Bus Service (919-828-7228: Blount St. )
    City bus service and CAT connector wheelchair accessible mini vans.Free for seniors 65+(must need a GO TRIANGLE card), discounts available for persons with disabilities.
  • C-TRAN (919-481-2020)
    The Town of Cary’s transit service.  Offers door-door transportation service to Cary residents who are 60 or older or have a disability. The service area is any destination in Cary and medical appointments  and employment in Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Apex, and Morrisville. Also, offers fixed route transportation to the general public.
  • Center for Volunteer Caregiving (460-0567) Volunteer-based transportation, limited availability.
  • GoDurham/Triangle Transit Authority (919-485-RIDE/7433) www.gotriangle.org
    Public transporation provider which provides transporation to/from Cary, Apex, Chapel Hill, Durham, Garner, Raleigh, RTP, and the airport.  Also, offers curb-to-curb transporation service for citizens of Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill who have a health condition or disability that prevents them from using TTA fixed route bus service.
  • Durham County Access (560-1551)
    Provides curb-to-curb transportation service for eligible riders. DATA ACCESS operates service to all locations within the City of Durham and to any location outside the City that is three-quarters of a mile of any fixed-route service operated by DATA. DATA ACCESS provides service during the same hours and on the same days as the regular fixed-route service. Must submit application.
  • Resources for Seniors (919-713-1527)
    Provides limited transportation for eligible persons ages 60+ to nutrition sites and medical appointments.  For medical transporation, must live outside Raleigh and Cary city limits.
  • Stalls Medical Supply (800-627-0732)
    New, used and rental wheelchair accessible vans.
  • TRACs (919-212-7005,option 3)
    General public transportation is available to residents of Wake County residing in non-urbanized areas. Service is delivered by zone. Wheelchair accessible vans available.
  • Van Products (919-238-4597 or 1-800-209-6133)
    Public van service for Wake county residents traveling between certain zones (call to determine whether your trip is a covered zone); wheelchair accessible vans available.
  • Wake Coordinated Transportation (919-212-7005)
    Clients who are Medicaid eligible are able to access free transportation to/from medical appointments – advanced notice required. 
  • Wheelchair Van Transportation Companies
    Call for price quotes and to schedule transport.
    • Community Cab    919-231-6282
    • Response Transportation  919-661-2504
    • Shamrock Transportation  919-832-4601
    • 2U Transit (Durham)  919-687-4808
    • Allen’s Transportation           919-610-3285


  • Resources for Seniors: (872-7933)
    Maintains a list of caregiver and other specific support groups.  Call for more information.
  • Spinal Cord Injury Support Group (350-8137)



  • Community Alternatives Program for Disabled Adults (872-7933)
    An alternative to nursing home care for adults who require a high level of care and meet strict financial criteria.
  • Independent Living, Raleigh office (715-0543)
    Offers a variety of services, including home modifications, personal assistance services, and counseling, to persons with disabilities that meet certain financial criteria. Available statewide.
  • Meals on Wheels of Wake County (833-1749)
    Home delivered meals for disabled and homebound seniors.
  • NC Assistive Technology Program, Raleigh office (850-2787)
    Provides assistive technology services and information through demonstrations, loans, and training. Available statewide.
  • North Carolina Assistive Technology Program (919-855-3564/ Intake Coordinator) www.ncatp.org
    Buy or sell assistive technology online. Available statewide.
  • Vocational Rehabilitation, Raleigh office (733-7807)
    Promotes employment and independence for persons with disabilities. Available statewide.
  • PACE:Program of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly (919-425-3050)
    With funding from Medicare and Medicaid, PACE provides a comprehensive set of healthcare and support services for older adults in a coordinated, managed care model. Participants must be at least 55+, and must need a nursing home level of care. The PACE facility is located in RTP and serves individuals living in Wake and Durham counties.


  • Home Health Therapies
    Multiple agencies provide physical, occupational, and speech therapy at home for persons that are unable to travel and meet eligibility criteria. Home nursing services are also sometimes available.
  • Outpatient Therapy
    Multiple facilities provide physical, occupational, and speech therapy for persons that can travel
  • WakeMed’s Spinal Cord Injury Day Treatment Program, Raleigh (New Bern Avenue) Provides physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech language pathology, clinical case management, nursing , and neuropsychological services as appropriate. Schedules are typically no more than three hours per treatment session.
  • Wake Med’s SCI Fitness Program, Raleigh (New Bern Avenue)
     Designed to provide hands on assistance to people with SCI that need help performing exercises.


  • Comfort Keepers (919-449-0004) www.comfortkeepers.com
  • Helping Hands of America (919-510-0960) www.hhamerica.com
  • Home Health Aides (Medicare, Medicaid, some private insurances)
    Consult your company or case manager to determine eligibility.
    • Maxim Healthcare Services (919-676-7990) www.maxhealth.com
    • Resources for Seniors Home Companion Program (919-872-7933) www.medicare.org
    • Visiting Angels (919-787-4317) www.visitingangels.com
    • Home Care Services
      (Private pay hourly rates for companions, aides, or nurses)
      For Wake County residents, consult Resources for Seniors for listing area agencies


  • Medicare (800-633-4227) www.medicare.gov
    information to help in selecting Medicare prescription drug plan
  • NCRx (888-488-6279) www.ncrx.gov
    Drug assistance plan to help low-income seniors with Medciare Part D premiums.
  • SHIIP (807-6900 or 1-855-408-1212 toll free)
    Answers questions and counsels Medicare beneficiaries about Medicare supplements, Medicare Advantage, Medicare prescription plans, etc.



  • Caregiver.com www.caregiver.com search for Wake County
  • Guiding Lights Caregiver Support Center
    3724 National Dr Ste 130 Raleigh, NC 27612
    (919) 371-2062 www.guidinglightsnc.org
    Guiding Lights is a private nonprofit organization that is dedicated to serving family and professional caregivers. Our mission is to be the comprehensive support center for family and professional caregiving. Core Programs and Services Awakening ? A comprehensive life management program designed for individuals with dementia and their caregivers.
  • Video Caregiving: www.videocaregiving.org
    Provides information on a wie array of subjects, including Alzheimer’s disease, stroke, falls prevention, emotional impact of caregiving, etc.
  • Wellspouse Association www.wellspouse.org
    Mission: The Well Spouse™ Association is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization offering peer emotional support to husbands, wives or partners of individuals with any chronic illness or long-term disability.
  • Center for Volunteer Caregiving (919-460-0567)
    http://www.volunteercaregiving.org/home.html Provides resources, support and educational programs to assist Wake County seniors, caregivers and adults with disabilities
    This is a brief list of available resources.  If you need additional information, please contact one of the agencies below for further assistance:
    • Resources for Seniors (872-7933)
       www.resourcesforseniors.com – information and referral for older and disabled adults and their caregivers, for all resources in Wake County
    • 2-1-1 Information and referral line: www.unitedwaync.org/nc211
      provides information and referral for many counties in NC
    • Eldercare Locator: 800-677-1116; www.eldercare.gov – provides contact information on local aging service providers nationwide
      Wake County Veterans Service Office (856-6161)
      Assists veterans and their dependents in applying for and obtaining veterans benefits

Spinal Cord Injury Patient Education Notebook (PDF):  English | Spanish

Here you'll find detailed information on spinal cord injuries, levels of function, lower extremity range of motion exercises, independent living, a personal care needs worksheet, and much more pertaining to spinal cord rehabilitation.

For more information about services offered through WakeMed Rehab, please call 919-350-7876