Facebook Pixel


To protect the health and wellbeing of our community, no visitors are allowed into our hospitals until further notice.
Limited exceptions may be made. Learn more.

Now offering virtual visits for all WakeMed Physician Practice primary care and specialties locations. Schedule an appointment today.

Visit COVID-19 Information Page

Your Stroke Care Team

During your hospital stay, you will be seen by medical professionals who specialize in the care of stroke and TIA patients. They will work with you and your family to assist in your recovery. Your physician leads the team and may request other physicians to assist with your care. These other physicians are called "specialists" and could include cardiologists, pulmonologists or neurologists.  Other physician specialists who may assist in your care include:

  • Emergency Physicians
  • Hospital Medicine Physicians\Intensivists
  • Neurosurgeons
  • Radiologists
  • Neuroradiologists
  • Physiatrists (Rehabilitation physicians)
  • Neuropsychiatry

Your care team may also consist of:

Clinical Dietitian
The registered dietitian (RD) is a licensed professional specifically trained in nutrition and its effects on your body. The role of the RD is to develop a nutrition care plan tailored to your individual needs.

Occupational Therapist
The occupational therapist (OT) works with you if you have disabilities that prevent you from performing daily living activities such as eating, dressing, bathing and grooming, or more complex tasks such as planning a menu, shopping for groceries and cooking a meal. The OT may also design splints and other adaptive equipment to help you increase your abilities and decrease further disability. If you have limited range-of-motion in a joint, diminished muscular strength and coordination, visual impairments or limited thought processing skills, you may benefit from occupational therapy.

Physical Therapist
The physical therapist (PT) works with you to improve your overall strength, endurance, balance and coordination. The therapist helps you re-develop walking skills or learn to move about safely in a wheelchair or with other equipment, such as a walker or cane. If you have limited range-of-motion in a joint or cannot move well, you may benefit from physical therapy to improve your strength and flexibility.

Registered Nurse
The registered nurse (RN) is a professional with experience in caring for patients with disabilities and illnesses. The RN works closely with other members of the nursing team (licensed practical nurses and nurse technicians) to provide you with nursing care and patient/family education.

Social Worker and RN Case Manager
The social worker and case manager can help you develop a plan that will make leaving the hospital as easy as possible, including:

  • Arranging for home health and medical equipment
  • Finding an appropriate rehabilitation or long-term care facility, if needed
  • Linking you to other community resources
  • Helping you with emotional or social concerns having to do with your medical condition, stress related to illness or injury, and substance abuse counseling

If you wish to speak with a social worker or nurse case manager, call 919-350-8127, M-F, 8 am to 5 pm. On weekends and holidays, ask your nurse to get in touch with us. We will meet with you privately to discuss your needs. There is no charge for our services.

Speech-Language Pathologist
The speech-language pathologist (SLP) evaluates and treats your speech, language, voice and thought processing disorders. The SLP also evaluates and treats swallowing disorders that hamper your ability to eat and take medications by mouth. The SLP's primary focus is to help you communicate and swallow as well as possible.

From our Emergency Department, Neuro Intensive Care Unit, Medical/Surgical Units, Neurosciences Unit and Invasive Cardiology units, you may also interact with:

  • Allied Health Professionals
  • Imaging Technologists
  • Cardiovascular Technologists
  • Respiratory Care
  • Pharmacists
  • Spiritual Care - Chaplains