About WakeMed Volunteering
The Volunteer Services department supports placements at WakeMed facilities throughout Wake and Johnston Counties.
The Volunteers at WakeMed are a 501(c) 3 organization, established in 1961 when WakeMed Raleigh Campus opened its doors. Their countless hours of service continue to help make WakeMed preferred provider of healthcare services in Wake County.
Here are just a few ways The Volunteers at WakeMed make a difference in the lives of patients, staff and our community:
- They contributed countless hours of service to patients, families and visitors in nearly 90 placement areas throughout the system.
- Provided huggables, quilts, baby caps and other hand-made gifts to patients of all ages.
The Volunteers at WakeMed hold fundraising events for the staff and the community throughout the year. All proceeds are used to support WakeMed patient- and family-centered programs and initiatives, including but not limited to:
- Purchasing of infant hearing screening equipment
- Providing medications to immediate-need patients through the Rainbow Fund
- Partnering with the WakeMed Foundation to raise funds to help finance the building and furnishing of such facilities as the WakeMed Children's Hospital Ronald McDonald Family Room and Cary Hospital's Meditation Chapel and Emergency Department Family Waiting Room
- Offering scholarships for patients to attend WakeMed Cardiac Rehabilitation
- Purchasing breastfeeding scales for the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
- Donating toiletries for immediate-need patients
- Collecting diversionary toys and supplies for WakeMed Children's Hospital patients
- Donating supplies for the Children's Music Pain Management Program
- Donating specialized tools and supplies for spinal cord injury patients
- Collecting baby supplies for immediate-need new moms
- Purchasing scales for WakeMed Congestive Heart Failure Program patients
- Supporting WakeMed Spiritual Care's Tea for the Soul program for patient care providers
- Contributing to the WakeMed Foundation designated for:
- Children's Hospital Ronald McDonald House
- Children's Emergency Department breezeway
- Rehabilitation Health Park gazebo
- Critical Care Waiting Room reception area
- And much, much more.
Learn more about us: