Founded in 1961 as the Memorial Hospital of Wake County, today WakeMed Health & Hospitals is a three-hospital, 919-bed private not-for-profit health system based in Raleigh, North Carolina. We are committed to improving the health and wellbeing of our community by providing outstanding and compassionate care.
As both a community asset and a community leader, we play an active role in making our community a better place to live, work and play. It all starts with putting patients and families at the forefront with wellness services and education, safe, high-quality care, advanced medical technology and compassionate services – all delivered by a team of mission-driven physicians, employees, administrators and volunteers.
WakeMed is the leading provider of health care services in Wake County, and we are the only hospital system based in Wake County. Since Wake County is our home, we greatly enhance the economic viability of our communities through the competitive wages paid to our nearly 8,500 employees and through the goods and services purchased. As a private not-for-profit, we are continuously reinvesting in services and facilities to improve access for the members of the community we serve. Our specialty services include:
Heart & Vascular Care
Emergency & Trauma Care
Neurosciences & Stroke Care
- Home to the county’s only Neuro Intensive Care Unit
- Full continuum of care for surgical and non-surgical treatments for stroke, aneurysms, blocked carotid arteries, brain and spine tumors and more
- A recognized center for joint replacement surgery and spine surgery care quality
- Medical and surgical solutions for all ages of people suffering from musculoskeletal issues
- Experienced sports medicine specialists for professional athletes and weekend warriors alike
WakeMed Physician Practices
- More than 50 office locations, more than 270 board-certified physicians and 130 advanced practice providers, covering a broad range of outpatient specialties and inpatient services
Additional Facts About WakeMed:
Want to know more? See our recent Awards & Accolades.