Expanded Emergency Department
The Emergency Department at WakeMed North Healthplex was the first stand-alone full-service ED in the state, and as the scope of services at North grows with the addition of the new women’s hospital, we expect the emergency department patient volume will increase as well.
The North Healthplex Emergency Department is open 24/7 and currently includes:
- 14 private acute treatment rooms
- Private Triage rooms
- A Minor Emergency Care Area with five beds for patients requiring less urgent care (open Noon to midnight, Monday through Friday; 11 am to midnight Saturday & Sunday)
- An ambulance receiving area
- Patient reception and comfortable waiting rooms
- State-of-the-art patient monitoring
Upon completion of the construction at WakeMed North Hospital, the Minor Emergency Care Area will relocate to the back of the Emergency Department to make room for pre-admission testing. Caregivers there will continue to treat patients for minor lacerations, sore throats, sprains, bone fractures and other non-life threatening injuries and illnesses.
The Emergency Department is staffed by Board-certified emergency medicine physicians with specialty physicians available as needed. We accommodate patients brought to us by EMS via ambulance. Additionally, this emergency department is backed by WakeMed Children's and Wake County's only Level I Trauma Center.