Structured Volunteer Placements Ages 16-18
The goal of this program is to provide hands-on volunteer experience that meets the current needs of the hospital. Each Junior Volunteer at the Raleigh Campus will begin as a Guest Ambassador in order to learn the facility and feel comfortable in the healthcare environment prior to moving into other placement areas of interest. Junior Volunteers are placed at all other facilities according to service needs and availability.
- Minimum 3 month service commitment is required with a total of 25 hours. Formal recommendation and evaluation letters/forms can only be submitted to Volunteer Services to complete when the 25 hour service commitment has been met. *Verification of volunteer hours can always be requested as needed on an on-going basis.
- Volunteers are scheduled 1 day per week (limited weekend availability) for a 2 to 3 hour shift.
- Applications are only accepted during certain times of the year and processing for applications can take up to 3 to 5 weeks
- Applicants are only permitted to apply to one hospital location.
Prior to applying, please review the following General Requirements and Things to Consider Before Applying To Volunteer
WHEN TO APPLY
Please note that application submission does not guarantee placement, but rest assured all submitted applications are reviewed by the Volunteer Services team for this high-demand program. Juniors who are selected to participate in the program are invited in for an interview.
SUMMER TRACK – June/July/August
Online application will open the first Monday of April after 2:30 pm. The application portal will close once the number of applications received meets the current needs. Applicants must be 16 years of age or older at the time application is submitted.
FALL TRACK – October/November/December - Thank you for your interest in volunteering with WakeMed. At this time, we have reached the maximum number of applications for junior volunteer positions at all locations.
Online application will open the first Monday of August after 2:30 pm. The application portal will close once the number of applications received meets the current needs. Applicants must be 16 years of age or older at the time application is submitted.
SPRING TRACK – March/April/May
Online application will open the first Monday of January after 2:30 pm. The application portal will close once the number of applications received meets the current needs. Applicants must be 16 years of age or older at the time application is submitted.
General Requirements and Things to Consider Before Applying To Volunteer
- Volunteer commitment is weekly for 2 to 4 hours.
- The hospital requires current immunizations for all volunteers. This includes: MMR, Varicella Titer and two-step tuberculosis skin test. Hepatitis B vaccinations are recommended for patient care areas.
- Must complete a FLU vaccine annually
- Able to communicate well in English (second language skills are a plus).
- Please be aware that we do not accept applications for court ordered community service hours. If you are Interested in job shadowing opportunity or internship, please email our Workforce Development Department
- If you are interested in Health Education, please visit Wake AHEC to explore opportunities
Comprehensive testing, training and orientation are provided for each of our applicants. As a result we ask for a significant commitment from our volunteers. To join our team, we ask you to:
- Be willing to complete an in-person interview if selected to participate in the program
- Willing and able to make a commitment to volunteer a minimum of 3 months of service with a total of 25 hours
- Complete a two-step TB screening and medical screening
- Complete an orientation packet