It takes a special person to be a volunteer, and we're glad that you've chosen to share your time and talents with the patients and staff at WakeMed. The time you spend here as a volunteer benefits the entire community. As a volunteer, your role is one of ambassador, liaison and educator for patients, families, visitors and the public.
General Requirements and Things to Consider Before Applying To Volunteer
- Must be able to volunteer weekly for 2 to 4 hours
- The hospital requires current immunizations for volunteers. This includes: MMR, Varicella Titer and two-step TB skin test. Hepatitis B vaccinations are recommended for patient care areas.
- Must complete a FLU vaccine annually
- You must be able to communicate well in English (second language skills are a plus).
- Processing time for applications can take between 3 to 5 weeks
- Please be aware that we do not accept applications for court ordered community service hours.
- If you are currently enrolled in college, university, community or trade school please apply via the College Volunteer page
Comprehensive testing, training and orientation are provided for each of our applicants. As a result we ask for a significant commitment from our volunteers. To join our team, we ask you to:
- Complete an in-person interview
- Be willing and able to make a commitment to volunteer for a period of six months to one year
- Submit to a criminal background check
- Complete a two-step tuberculosis screening and medical screening
- Complete an orientation packet
View current open volunteer opportunities.
To complete an online application, please select the location you are interested in below: