Special Infant Care Clinic
The Special Infant Care Clinic (SICC) has been caring for children since 1975. It provides medical and developmental follow-up for infants born prematurely or children with special medical or developmental needs. Many of the children seen in the SICC are graduates of the intensive care nurseries at WakeMed or other local hospitals.
- Newborns to age 3
- Graduates of the intensive care nurseries
- Children with chronic medical problems affecting development
- Children whose parents or physicians have concerns or questions about their development
If you have questions about whether your child should be seen in this clinic, call the pediatric psychologist at 919-350-8527 or the neonatologist at 919-350-8545.
- Discuss parental concerns
- Provide comprehensive medical care for at-risk children
- Evaluate physical, mental and language development
- Coordinate follow-up care and services for children with special needs
Cost varies with services provided. Medicaid and private insurances are accepted. Financial counselors are available to assist in answering questions. If you have questions about your bill, please call 919-350-8153.
Our staff of experienced medical and developmental professionals is dedicated to providing personalized treatment for your child. The Special Infant Care Clinic (SICC) team is a multidisciplinary team made up of neonatologists, nurse practitioners, a pediatric psychologist, a pediatric physical therapist, a pediatric occupational therapist, a child developmental specialist, a speech-language pathologist, pediatric nurses, and a Women, Infant & Children (WIC) nutritionist that all specialize in caring for, evaluating and treating the medical and developmental needs of children from from birth to age 3. Their expertise includes the evaluation of the cognitive, behavioral, motor and emotional development of young children and the emotional needs of their parents.
Referrals are accepted from pediatricians, family practitioners, Wake County Human Services, agencies of other counties, and other community agencies. Children who were previously patients of WakeMed Raleigh Campus or WakeMed Cary Hospital may be given an appointment prior to their hospital discharge.
To schedule an appointment please call 919-350-8164.
Please remember to bring the following information to every appointment:
- The patient's insurance or Medicaid cards
- The patient's immunization records
- Medications taken by the patient
- Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment to allow time for registration.
- Due to the specialty nature of our clinic, your appointment may be lengthy. Please bring comfort items for your child.
- You may have to reschedule your appointment if you arrive more than 30 minutes late.
The Special Infant Care Clinic (SICC) is located within the Pediatric Clinic on the second floor of the Andrews Center on WakeMed's Raleigh Campus. Parking is available in front of the building in the P4 Yellow two-story parking deck.
Download a Print Version (pdf)