The crisis of hospitalization often raises ultimate issues for patients and families, which can generate a swirl of emotions and cause one to question long standing beliefs. Anxiety, anger, grief, guilt, and fear are only a few of these emotions. Chaplains are available to offer compassionate support and spiritual guidance for you and your family members during a hospital stay. The ministry offered is interfaith with respectful care to people of all belief systems.
The Mission of the Spiritual Care Department at WakeMed Health & Hospitals is to provide effective spiritual care to patients, families, and staff in ways that are supportive and meaningful to them, regardless of their faith tradition.
About our Chaplains and How They Can Help
Our Chaplains are specially trained to work with hospital patients and families and are available 24-hours-a-day, seven days a week to minister to your needs. Click to find out what our Chaplains can do to help you and your family.
Contacting a Chaplain
How to Contact a Chaplain?
- Have the nurse contact the Chaplain
- During weekdays, for WakeMed Raleigh, call the office at 919-350-8556
- For WakeMed Cary, call 919-350-2536
- Have staff or hospital switchboard contact the on-call Chaplain
On the Raleigh Campus, a meditation Chapel is located on the third floor of the Main Tower between 3A and 3B.
The Chapel is available for patients, families, and staff for private meditation. The following services are also provided:
- Interfaith Chapel Service 11:00 a.m. Daily
- Catholic Mass 11:30 a.m. Monday-Saturday
- Muslim Prayers Daily at the appointed times, Prayer Rugs and Korans are available
- Jewish Shabbat Fridays in patient rooms
- Jewish Bikur Cholim Saturdays-Jewish volunteers are now available to make patient visits
- Interfaith Chapel Service 10:00 am Sunday – Rehab Hospital Dining Room
- Jehovah Witness Representatives see Jehovah Witness patients daily
- Roman Catholic Eucharistic Ministers offer communion weekdays to Roman Catholic patients. There is a Roman Catholic priest available upon request for the Sacrament of the Sick. Please call Spiritual Care at 919-350-8556 or ask your nurse to have the on call chaplain paged, if you need additional information.
Clinical Pastoral Education Opportunities