WakeMed is an 884-bed private, not-for-profit health care system based in Raleigh, North Carolina.
Our system is accredited by The Joint Commission, which monitors and evaluates health care organizations according to the established state-of-the-art quality and safety standards.
Services unique to WakeMed that bring added value to the communities we serve include:
- North Carolina's first freestanding Children's Emergency Department. It is a national model and serves more than 40,000 children each year.
- The WakeMed Heart Center ranks in volume among the top North Carolina hospitals providing cardiac care and is also one of the highest volume heart centers in the United States.
- Mobile critical care services offering ground and air transport for adults and children.
- One of 11 mother's milk banks in the United States.
- Two nationally accredited, award winning Chest Pain Centers.
- Two nationally accredited, award winning Stroke Centers.
Wake County's only:
- Level I Trauma Center as designated by the North Carolina Office of Emergency Medical Services.
- Licensed rehabilitation hospital with the most comprehensive physical rehabilitation continuum of care in eastern North Carolina.
- Level IV Neonatal Intensive Care Unit and one of seven Harvard developmental training sites.
- Neuro intensive care unit and dedicated neurosciences inpatient unit.
- Children's Hospital featuring an inpatient unit and intensive care unit - staffed around the clock by pediatric intensivists.
- Children's diabetes programs.
- Pediatrics specialists in surgery, neurology, endocrinology, orthopaedics, neonatology, child development and more.
- Place to have a baby in Cary - Women's Pavilion and Birthplace - Cary
- North Healthplex offers the state's first stand alone full-service emergency department.
- Emergency Services Institute focusing on research, emergency preparedness and response in the event of community emergencies and disaster either natural or man-made.
- Patient Simulation Center for training health professionals.
Want to know more? See our recent Awards & Accolades.
New to the Area?
You're not alone! Learn about Raleigh and our surrounding cities here.