Learn What to Expect from Liver Brachytherapy
Day of the Procedure Instructions
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing.
- Do not eat for a specific amount of time as recommended by your doctor.
- Take only the drugs your doctor told you to take with a small sip of water.
- Bring someone with you to drive you home as you will not be allowed to drive after the procedure.
- Most patients will go home within 24 hours.
- You will have to lie flat for several hours to ensure that bleeding does not occur.
- Plan to rest over the next few days because you will be tired than usual as the radiation does its job.
Since active radiation has been injected into your body, you will have to take some precautions.
For the next seven to ten days, please take these precautions for your and others' safety:
- No bus or public transportation
- No close contact with others for two hours or more
- Sleep in bed alone
- Do not have contact with children, pets or anyone who is pregnant
Recovery: what to expect in the next few weeks
Some patients report having flu-like symptoms and a slight fever. Patients may also experience abdominal or stomach cramping. Most complained of fatigue.