Pre-Op Appointment & Instructions
10000 Falls of Neuse Road, Raleigh, NC 27614
Map & Directions
Pre-Op Evaluation/Work Up
Prior to your scheduled surgical procedure, a Day Surgery nurse will contact you to gather some basic information about you and your health and to answer your questions. Most outpatient surgeries require pre-operative testing such as blood and urine tests. Some also require chest X-rays or EKGs (electrocardiograms).
You must have these tests completed within 30 days before your surgery. You may schedule to have these tests completed at the laboratory (Ground Floor) and Imaging Services (radiology/X-ray), located on the First Floor, at WakeMed North.
If you have any of the following, please bring a copy of the report with you on the day of surgery:
Pre-op Tours for Pediatric Patients
WakeMed North Day Surgery Center offers pre-operative tours and support to assist you in preparing your child or teenager for surgery.
The tour is both educational and interactive. It is an opportunity to familiarize both you and your child with what to expect the day of surgery. We use a combination of photos, play with actual medical equipment and take a walking tour.
Visiting the Day Surgery Center before admission helps children and adolescents cope with their fears and anxieties. Brothers, sisters and other family members also are welcome. Please call 919-350-1430 to set up a tour or to obtain more information.
You must follow these guidelines as you prepare for surgery:
- Arrange for an adult to accompany you to WakeMed North, and to drive you home following your procedure. You will not be permitted to drive yourself home following anesthesia. If you plan to go home in a taxi, you must have a responsible adult accompany you.
- Arrange for an adult to stay with you at home for 24 hours after your surgery.
- Notify your surgeon if you take aspirin or blood thinners such as Coumadin, Plavix, Ticlid or Effient, and talk to your primary care physician before you stop taking any of these medications before surgery.
- Discontinue alternative medicine therapies two weeks prior to your surgery.
- Do not drink alcoholic beverages for 24 hours prior to your surgery.
- Call your doctor prior to surgery if you have a cold, flu, fever or other illness.
The night before your surgery, do not eat or drink anything between midnight and the time of your surgery, unless approved by the anesthesiologist.
This includes water, juice, coffee, chewing gum, breath mints and alcohol.
You may brush your teeth the morning of surgery, but do not swallow any water. It is dangerous to be sedated or put to sleep with food or liquid in your stomach.