Apple Crumb Squares with Apple Cider Sauce
Prep Time: 35
Cook Time: 30
(Total time will vary with appliance and setting.)
Level of Difficulty: Moderate
Ingredients: Apple Crumb Squares
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
¾ cup whole wheat flour
¾ cup all-purpose, unbleached flour
¾ cup packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
¾ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 tablespoons canola oil
¼ cup apple juice concentrate, thawed
3 medium tart apples, such as Granny Smith, peeled and thinly sliced
¼ coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
Apple Cider Sauce (recipe follows)
2 cups low-fat vanilla ice cream or nonfat frozen yogurt
Ingredients: Apple Cider Sauce
2 cups apple cider
2 teaspoons corn starch
4 teaspoons water
1 tablespoon butter
Directions: Apple Crumb Squares
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-inch square or 7-by-11-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
2. Whisk oats, whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, brown sugar, lemon zest, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl. Work in the oil and apple juice concentrate with a fork or your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
3. Press 2 cups of the oat mixture firmly into the bottom of the prepared pan. Arrange apple slices over the crust in three overlapping rows. Mix the walnuts into the remaining oat mixture. Sprinkle over the apples and pat into an even layer.
4. Bake until the top is golden and the apples are tender when pierced, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.
5. Meanwhile, make Apple Cider Sauce
6. To serve, cut into 8 pieces and place on dessert plates. Top with ice cream or frozen yogurt and drizzle with cider sauce.
Directions: Apple Cider Sauce
1. Boil cider in a small heavy saucepan over high heat until reduced to 1 cup, 15 to 20 minutes.
2. Mix cornstarch and water. Add to the cider and cook, stirring, until slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and swirl in butter until melted. Serve warm or chilled.
|448 calories, 12 g total fat (3 g saturated fat, 4 g monounsaturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 75 g carbohydrate, 7 g protein, 6 g fiber, 206 mg sodium, 221 mg potassium |
Yield: 8 servings.