Light 7-layer Taco Dip
Prep Time: 10-20 minutes
Cook Time: None
(Total time will vary with appliance and setting.)
Level of Difficulty: Quick & Easy
To decrease preparation time, use a ½ cup store-bought guacamole or make your own with your food processor and the following recipe:
1 avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
2 teaspoons lime juice, fresh or bottled
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons salsa
Garlic powder or garlic salt to taste (optional)
Black pepper to taste
8 ounces fat-free sour cream
1-ounce packet taco seasoning mix
15-ounce can fat-free or vegetarian refried beans
1 cup diced tomatoes, drained
½ cup finely chopped green onions
2 cups shredded reduced-fat, Mexican-style cheese blend (i.e. Monterey Jack and cheddar)
2 ¼-ounce can sliced black olives (optional)
1. Make guacamole if you are not using store bought. Set aside.
2. In small bowl, blend sour cream with taco seasoning.
3. Spread the refried beans in the bottom of a deep-dish pie plate (you can warm the beans in the microwave to make them more spreadable)
4. Top the beans with the sour cream mixture then top that with the guacamole.
5. Spread the tomatoes on top then sprinkle the green onions over top, followed by the shredded cheese and black olives if desired.
6. Serve with reduced-fat tortilla chips or reduced-fat crackers.
|Per serving (dip only) 85 calories, 5.2 g protein, 6.4 g carbohydrate, 4.4 g fat (1.9 g saturated fat, 1.9 g monounsaturated fat, .3 g polyunsaturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, .7 g fiber, 258 mg sodium, Calories from fat: 46%.|
Yield: 16 appetizer servings
--WebMDblog, adapted from “Fry Light, Fry Right” by Elaine Magee, RD, MPH