About da Vinci Surgery
Changing the Experience of Surgery at WakeMed
If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with a condition that may require surgery, you owe it to yourself to learn about all of your medical options, including the most effective, least invasive surgical treatments available.
The da Vinci® Surgical System provides surgeons with an alternative to both traditional open surgery and conventional laparoscopy, putting a surgeon's hands at the controls of a state-of-the-art robotic platform. The da Vinci System enables surgeons to perform even the most complex and delicate procedures through very small incisions with unmatched precision.
For the patient, benefits may include:
- Significantly less pain
- Less blood loss
- Less scarring
- Shorter recovery time
- A faster return to normal daily activities
- And in many cases, better clinical outcomes
The da Vinci Surgical System consists of:
- A surgeon console that allows for more precise, real-time movements of surgical instruments inside the patient
- A cart with four robotic arms that execute the surgeon's commands
- An "EndoWrist," which has a full range of instruments and is designed with seven degrees of motion that mimic the dexterity of the human hand and wrist
- Image processing equipment that provides 3-D images of the operative field through high-intensity lighting and camera-control units
Learn more about the da Vinci® Surgical System.
While clinical studies support the effectiveness of the da Vinci® System when used in minimally invasive surgery, individual results may vary. Surgery with the da Vinci Surgical System may not be appropriate for every individual. Always ask your doctor about all treatment options, as well as their risks and benefits.