Outpatient Discharge After Procedure
Endoscopy Services at WakeMed Cary Hospital
Preparation for Discharge Home after Procedure
Following your procedure, you will be transferred to the Endoscopy recovery area for post-op discharge care. Your care team will assist you in dressing and getting to the bathroom, if needed. Two family members will be permitted to sit with you in the recovery area.
Your nurse will give you and family members sitting with you verbal and written instructions for home. An adult must drive you home. It's also important to have a responsible adult stay with you during the first 24 hours after your procedure. The post-op nurse will attempt to call you the day after the procedure to check on your progress.
You should also:
- Avoid driving for 24 hours.
- Avoid tasks that involve the use of appliances and machinery.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages.
- Avoid making critical decisions.
- Watch for trouble signs such as difficulty in breathing, excessive bleeding, pain or fever. If any of these signs occur contact your physician, or seek emergency care if necessary.
Ask your doctor when you can resume your normal activities, such as work, exercise or school.